Saturday, June 19, 2010

DAY 70 devastation...

Ok, Its day 70 and I have 6 guests arriving for dinner in approx 9 hours. I'm prepping away and getting things on the go - and as usual doing a little bit of research. I am a little stressed and now a little bit devastated (I'll get to that in a minute).

After a successful day in Perth yesterday visiting places like Kakulas Bros and Wing Hong (Chinese Butcher), I was all excited to come home, get a good nights sleep and be ready to tackle the day (today). Off to a good start with my bread already resting, and growing. Almonds have been roasted and egg whites are ready to be beaten (for the macaroons). I've got my list together for the Farmer's markets and am ready to battle my way through the crowd. I've roughly worked out a timeline in which I should cook things and I have this beautiful image in my mind of how the evening will be perfect (food-wise at least).

Now for the devastation part... So, I am a little stressed in regards to the frustration and lack of radicchio and am thinking "How I am going to do this? What else can I possibly use..?" So, I do a little research on the net, and try to suss out what else I could possibly use (even though this need of substitution alone pains me...) and what do I find....?

"Maggie's Harvest Or Bust!" Yes, you heard me. A blog, about cooking, ABOUT COOKING EVERYTHING FROM THE VERY SAME BOOK! Complete devastation... Among the downsides (like this lady starting back in December, and living in South Australia - and PROBABLY has Radicchio access at every corner of the state) there are some upsides. She has no timeline, no order of cooking and few postings. So, whilst we may, in theory, be taking on the very same project, there are definite differences.

I wish her nothing but luck, and it is kind of nice to think that someone else might be going through the very same insaneness as I am. Many of my friends said "you don't need to tell anyone" but I was insistent on being true to those who are following... So, I hope this doesn't change our relationship, I hope that I still have something to offer you, and I hope more than anything that I still have your support. My dedication and determination still remains...

On to the food though. In case you didn't know, today I am cooking a feast for 8 tonight. On the Menu:

Entree:

Grape & Walnut Bread w/ a selection of cheese, chorizo, salami, olives, dried muscats, dips and other accompaniments.

Main:

Seared Duck Breast w/ Chestnuts, Bacon, & Vino Cotto Glazed Radicchio.
Parsnip Puffs.
Caramelised Onion Salad.
Pan-seared Asparagus.

Dessert:

Lemon Tart
Almond Macaroons

So, if you're still around... Check out the photos later on.

Ciao for now x

2 comments:

  1. :-) Happy Cooking. xxx
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you are you, and she is herself.
    If I were to take the very same book and cook/blog about it I would probably use a different angle to my cooking/writing too.
    So yeah, just get on with the program and do what you do best! :) Looking forward to reading more...!

    ReplyDelete