Tuesday, June 22, 2010

DAY 73: Barbecued Sugar-Cured Kangaroo


So, I bought this really lovely chunk of Kangaroo whilst up in Perth last week. I was really looking forward to cooking it as I have had little Kangaroo meat experience. The chosen recipe - Barbecued Sugar-Cued Kangaroo. The recipe called for the Kangaroo fillet to be placed in Salt, Sugar, Juniper Berries, Thyme and Black Peppercorns, overnight. I placed the Kangaroo in this mix early yesterday morning (intending on cooking it last night) but as circumstances (and wine) lead me, I ended up cooking it tonight. The fillet had become very... hard, like really hard, and dark. A lot like Biltong... Hmmm...


I persisted onwards & cooked the Roo quickly over a high heat. It was left to rest for approx 10mins. Things were looking a little more hopeful, the meat seemed a little more tender... Let's see how we go!


I knew things weren't right when I struggled to cut the meat... Once gaining a piece upon my fork - into the mouth it went! Arh... not so good. Hard, salty and yuck! What a disappointment. Maybe it was the cut of meat? Maybe it was the time left to cure? Or maybe it was my lack of ability? They can't all be amazing right?

2 comments:

  1. Kangaroo meat can really only be eaten cooked medium rare or medium. Any longer and it becomes like leather, or in this case biltong.

    The BBQ Grill needs to be very hot to seal the roo fillets before it's turned down a bit.
    Usually about 8 mins each side, or until there is the appearance of juices coming through is an indication that it's cooked medium.

    This recipe looks unreal - wouldn't mind trying it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was cooked momentarily (no longer than 10mins total) over a very high heat. The meat was already hard due to the sugar/salt curing...

    ReplyDelete